1- First, I’m happy to report that Patricia (Trish), our parish secretary, is recovering very well from surgery. During her convalescence this month, she will be doing some work from home.
2- Check out this 1-minute video of Pope Francis, “Our Families”, that ought to be taken to heart by each of us.
Re-opening our parish: News and information
3- Volunteers required at each mass: One to operate the laptop for music (simpler than it sounds – pun intended) and several more to be safety greeters. Please contact me to inquire. Thanks to our two dozen volunteers who have come forward, some of whom were trained yesterday.
4- The doors will be opening next weekend!! Note the Summer Mass times:
Saturday 5 pm,
Sunday changed to 9 am
Sunday changed to 9 am
5- Due to provincial capacity restrictions for health and safety, we will add a 10:30 mass with catechism, however restricted to the catechism families, who have been communicated with separately.
6- The rationale is that Sunday at 9 am:
- respects the survey results completed by most
- adding a separate family mass allows enough space that all parishioners can attend Sunday morning without registration (only the 9am mass however requires you bring a “mass pass” to guarantee you a seat)
- almost eliminates the risk of contact between the elderly and children
- as health safety doesn’t allow us to use large fans directly, this hour would not be as hot inside
7- The “mass pass”: It’s purpose is to ensure that, without having to register, our parishioners have first call on the limited available seating, until just before mass time when we admit other people until we’re full.
8- All parishioners will receive in the mail this week an extensive letter, including a separate sheet of safety rules for mass attendance. You will read therein what the “mass pass” is.
9- Additionally, an information session to answer your questions will be held by Zoom and phone call-in Tuesday evening at 7pm for those interested.
10- The parish office will be staffed for calls (514-768-4741) only this Friday from 10am-noon to answer your questions about the parish re-opening after having read the mailing. Also, if you haven’t received the letter, please call then. At other times, messages left will always be returned, except those related to re-opening which will be returned after Friday morning.
11- With the need to prioritize a successful weekend re-opening:
- Weekday masses won’t begin for at least one month
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation will not be offered before mass, rather by appointment with me
- Funerals will resume immediately, baptisms shortly thereafter I expect
- The office will remain closed for personal interaction until it is safer, and at least until Trish is fully back in the saddle. I’m available by phone at the parish number and email.
- Only the church itself and the sacristy washroom (for emergencies) are accessible for now
All further changes and adjustments will be announced at masses and included in these emails and on our website.
St. Thomas More, as we re-open, Pray for us
Pastor, St. Thomas More Parish Verdun