Dear parents of children in Catechesis, and all parishioners,
I’ll be offering the Holy Thursday Mass in less than an hour, and again at the Easter Vigil, with special intention for all our parishioners. Despite being physically separated from the sacraments, Pope Francis reminds us if you make spiritual communion (see below), you are as much a part of the offering and in communion as being here. On spiritual Confession, see the link below.
This evening, like the Archbishop most other priests in the Archdiocese at the same hour, I will be blessing the neighborhood from the parish steps with the Sacrament of the Body of Christ during this time of pandemic.
I want to emphasize, particularly to parents, that the Holy Triduum (3 days) is integral to our catechesis, as the mysteries it observes are the very core of our faith, and hopefully of our life. So I encourage you to participate in these – the most symbol-filled liturgies of the year this evening, Good Friday, and Saturday’s Easter Vigil --- online or on tv, not least so that your children can better understand what is being discussed and asked of them when catechesis resumes.
1. Pope Francis yesterday invited us to live the Triduum as "one great domestic liturgy" https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2020-04/pope-general-audience-easter-triduum-catechesis.html
2. One minute video: Pope Francis’ observing the Triduum https://www.romereports.com/en/2020/04/09/pope-begins-easter-triduum-at-vatican-without-pilgrims/
3. Spiritual Communion in these exceptional circumstances: Make a statement to God of your desire to partake, and that you believe Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, and that you will partake as soon as it is permitted, and:
4. Participate in the liturgies on cable tv – Salt & Light channel is broadcasting them all, or:
5. Livestreams in the Archdiocese include:
c. The Good Friday Way of the Cross, led by Msgr. Christian Lépine, Archbishop of Montreal and broadcast on the Archdiocese of Montreal’s YouTube page, will become available at 10 AM on Good Friday morning
d. With Pope Francis live from the Vatican, 6am Good Friday Liturgy and 9am Stations of the Cross: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJHI8bI0LWg
6. More Holy Week guidelines from the Archdiocese are found on our parish website: https://www.stthomasmoremtl.ca/
7. On Spiritual Confession (4 minute video by Fr. Mike of St. Ignatius, NDG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmaOANC29zM
8. I would like to extend my thanks to parishioners who made calls this week to most of you. If you did not receive a call, please call me at the parish number or reply to this email.
Finally, in these challenging times, keeping in our prayers in union with Christ Crucified all who suffer around the world, not least in body, mind and spirit from the pandemic, I wish you a most Blessed and spiritual Triduum, looking ahead to the new and renewed life celebrated at Easter.
In Christ Crucified and Risen,
St. Thomas More Parish, Verdun